Brand MU Day
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    Should You Play Your Own Game?

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Game Gab
    25 Posts 14 Posters 599 Views 1 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • L. B. HeuschkelL Offline
      L. B. Heuschkel
      last edited by

      Ideally, every staff member should also be a player. However, not everyone is very active RP-wise, and that’s okay. What’s really important is that they’re active in the community, that they’re visible. Whether they RP, or prefer to hang out on chat, or are always around for questions – that’s not so important which one it is. What really moves things is that players see them, hear them, and get to know them.

      Staff that is essentially faceless authority figures invite abuse and fuckery from players who don’t identify with them as fellow hobby nerds. Staff that have faces and are the next guy over – not so much. At least not from the ordinary types – there’s always the occasional malignant creep, and no amount of good PR fixes those.

      Any pronouns. Come to Chincoteague. We have ponies. http://keys.aresmush.com

      GashlycrumbG 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 3
      • FaradayF Offline
        Faraday @MisterBoring
        last edited by

        @MisterBoring said:

        I believe that no staff member should act as staff for a scene involving their own PCs.

        I used to believe that too, but I no longer do. On a good game with a decent staff, you can trust staffers to remain fair even for their own characters. I’ve been on a number of games run by couples (@roadspike and @blu for instance) and have run games entirely by myself. These games have demonstrated to me that strict impartiality of rulings is unnecessary. In contrast, countless games where “impartial” staffers rubber-stamp crazy things for each other have demonstrated that the thin veneer of neutrality on most games is just performative.

        MisterBoringM R GashlycrumbG 3 Replies Last reply Reply Quote 5
        • MisterBoringM Online
          MisterBoring @Faraday
          last edited by

          @Faraday said:

          On a good game with a decent staff, you can trust staffers to remain fair even for their own characters.

          Funnily enough, I don’t suggest this based on fairness, though that’s an additional benefit of it. I suggest this because playing a PC in a scene at the same time as one is staffing a scene can add to burnout at a faster pace. While fairness is one part of it, I have noticed that staff who run scenes they’re PCing in seem to, in my experience, burn out faster than those that keep a separation between the two activities.

          Proud Member of the Pro-Mummy Alliance

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • GashlycrumbG Offline
            Gashlycrumb @L. B. Heuschkel
            last edited by

            @L.-B.-Heuschkel said:

            Staff that is essentially faceless authority figures invite abuse and fuckery from players who don’t identify with them as fellow hobby nerds.

            This, and more.

            Staff who really want to be authority figures are, hm. Typically not great. If they value protecting their authority more than they value fairness and widespread fun, they’re liable to be a nightmare.

            You cannot separate the authority from the work, but the authority should not be the reward for the work nor the reason you do it.

            In workplace type situations that get studied by sociologists and the like, people who put much psychic stock into being an authority figure and protecting that status are at a much greater risk of burn-out as well as making everyone around them miserable.

            Because I was raised by goats I am an anarcho-syndicalist, but even putting that aside I’d still actively make an effort to be an OOC-friendly chat-channel user as a staffer. Players should feel that I have a personality, and that I am accessible, and that I am open to making new friends, even them.

            South Park Cartman GIF

            “This is Liberty Hall; you can spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard!”
            – A. Bertram Chandler

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
            • R Offline
              Roadspike @Faraday
              last edited by

              @Faraday Very much appreciate the compliment, but it wasn’t always this way. I’ve been accused of spotlighting my own characters and she’s been accused of running scenes just for my characters. It’s been a learning process to get to the point where we feel comfortable running scenes that we have (or our partner has) a character in again.

              I agree fully that staff should play their own game (as long as they want to) and that it’s a net benefit for them to do so. However, staff need to be careful not just about the actuality of improprieties when playing their own game, but also the appearance of improprieties.

              It’s very easy for it to seem like a staffer is running scenes for their own character (or anyone else’s) if that character does particularly well in a scene, has an expertise that suits the scene (even if it’s just because the staffer is running a scene of a type they like playing in, which is why they play that type of character), or the character is connected to the scene in some way (even if other characters are too).

              That’s another reason to be active and approachable and engaged on your own game, because even if no one will tell you directly if you’ve overstepped the bounds of reasonableness (but get yourself some friends who will tell you this), you can get a feel for the game by playing it and often recognize when you’ve stepped outside of the perceived realms of good behavior in running your own scenes. This does take some self-awareness that some don’t have, of course.

              Formerly known as Seraphim73 (he/him)

              GashlycrumbG FaradayF 2 Replies Last reply Reply Quote 0
              • GashlycrumbG Offline
                Gashlycrumb @Faraday
                last edited by

                @Faraday said:

                On a good game with a decent staff, you can trust staffers to remain fair even for their own characters

                Yes. And if alts are all marked, so everybody knows that the staff PC is a staff PC, and the staffer is not a raging ego who will explode at being called imperfect, then – while I was typing @roadspike hit it – that staffer/player will hear about it if they’ve overstepped.

                “This is Liberty Hall; you can spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard!”
                – A. Bertram Chandler

                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                • GashlycrumbG Offline
                  Gashlycrumb @Roadspike
                  last edited by

                  @Roadspike said:

                  I’ve been accused of spotlighting my own characters and she’s been accused of running scenes just for my characters

                  I’ve no idea what the circumstances were for that, but I want to point out:

                  It’s not wrong or bad to do either of those things.

                  It just shouldn’t be a big percentage of all the spotlighting and scene-running that you do, you know?

                  I remember games that did regular ‘staff appreciation’ events where staff PCs (including those who saw a lot of action without that boost) were purposefully spotlighted . Players were down with it.

                  “This is Liberty Hall; you can spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard!”
                  – A. Bertram Chandler

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • FaradayF Offline
                    Faraday @Roadspike
                    last edited by Faraday

                    @MisterBoring said:
                    I suggest this because playing a PC in a scene at the same time as one is staffing a scene can add to burnout at a faster pace.

                    I haven’t observed that personally, but it certainly does take more work to both GM and play in a scene. I still think it should be up to the individual staffer as to whether that’s something they like and can handle, and not something to be universally discouraged, but YMMV of course.

                    @Roadspike said:

                    @Faraday Very much appreciate the compliment, but it wasn’t always this way. I’ve been accused of spotlighting my own characters and she’s been accused of running scenes just for my characters. It’s been a learning process to get to the point where we feel comfortable running scenes that we have (or our partner has) a character in again.

                    You’ll never escape that kind of accusation, even on a game with a dozen staff members each keeping perfectly to their silos. Heck, I once got complaints about my character being spotlighted when the plot was run by someone else (a regular player) as a thank-you. And as @gashlycrumb also pointed out, there’s nothing inherently wrong with running plots for yourself/your friends. Staff deserves to have fun too. As long as there’s transparency and clear expectations, players can vote with their feet if they don’t like the way staffers are running plots.

                    GashlycrumbG 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • GashlycrumbG Offline
                      Gashlycrumb @Faraday
                      last edited by

                      @Faraday said:

                      there’s nothing inherently wrong with running plots for yourself/your friends

                      I think its more inherently right. That’s what’s really wanted, isn’t it? The ideal MU experience you have a friendly RP group of gaming-friends and work plots together with GMs who are also gaming-friends.

                      The balancing act is the but also making it so that random gamers who find your game on MUDstats or Ares Central etc have a path to getting in on it.

                      “This is Liberty Hall; you can spit on the mat and call the cat a bastard!”
                      – A. Bertram Chandler

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                      • JumpscareJ Offline
                        Jumpscare
                        last edited by

                        I’ve tried multiple times to be a player in Silent Heaven. I don’t want any special treatment or plot attention, so I’ve gone incognito. But inevitably I’ve been found out, whether it’s due to my writing style or a mistake on my part. And then my character gets treated differently. In my experience, it causes a behavioral amplification effect of sorts. Some people cling to my character’s words in a way that feels like they’re hoping to get in on a plot, and others suddenly disregard my character.

                        I’m not sure what to do to get an organic experience, or even if one is possible, haha. I’ve never been someone who craves the spotlight. I’m perfectly happy playing NPCs in support of other characters’ stories. But it also means I miss out on the day-to-day interactions.

                        I’m open to suggestions!

                        Game-runner of Silent Heaven, a small-town horror MU.
                        https://silentheaven.org

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1

                        Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                        Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                        With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                        Register Login
                        • First post
                          Last post