Playing their own game makes a good gamerunner better and a bad gamerunner so much worse.
Posts
-
RE: Should You Play Your Own Game?
-
RE: Paroxysm - split off
Rather than hurl a “fuck AI” and bounce like I did before I’ll try to actually explain what is so off-putting about it and how you can improve it.
I would massively encourage you to give your website a once-over with your human voice and tell us what your game is about. LLMs do a lot of “movie trailer voice” punching up how cool and important all this is, but is infuriatingly vague.
It would’ve taken half the number of words to say “some shithead opened a portal to hell during WWII and now everyone is mega racist towards the magic people”. That is also the only thing I know about your game. Like, what is an angelborn? What’s a demonborn? I have no idea. You have pages which I clicked expecting to find out, but you have so many clickable links that look like they would lead to more information but just don’t. Either they lead to other unrelated pages, or aren’t clickable at all.
I’ve seen your website and still have no idea where your game is set or basic information about what I can play. You need to sit down and write your elevator pitch on what this is. You probably went with the AI because you think it writes better than you. I can guarantee it does not. Three sentences in your own voice would blow whatever the fuck this is out of the water. Just tell us where the game is physically set. What year it is. A recent event leading up to present day. Anything.
-
RE: The SA In Games Thread (Good Luck)
You want it in your game but you don’t want people to enjoy it too much?

If a game allows SA at all, I don’t see anyone signing up in the first place unless they’re into that. You aren’t gonna discover a group of very serious artistic writers who are willing to do this but like, not in a sinful way. Opt-in doesn’t matter to your target audience because they opted in by playing the game.
-
RE: Paroxysm - split off
Funnily enough the use of LLMs is more of a dealbreaker for me than the SA code. Good luck with it all.
-
RE: The SA In Games Thread (Good Luck)
@hellfrog said:
So the issue is other peoples’ cavalier attitudes towards their own self-examination of their motives and behavior? Internally?? Because previously she stated she wanted it in the setting, but not - involving pcs, I guess? Which begs a lot of questions, and assumptions, and questions about the assumptions.And maybe a little alarm at the assumption one can diagnose a stranger by a behavior that may be an indicator of a possible problem or may be completely harmless.
no?
-
RE: The SA In Games Thread (Good Luck)
@hellfrog said:
What’s with the assumption that anyone who participates in graphic rp is doing it for their direct gratification and building pathology?? Because that’s just not reliably the case. I see you said your issue is the ‘blase attitude’ that it’s ok if there’s consent, but what’s the alternative? I don’t understand the consequence that’s desired.My reading of Kestrel’s whole spiel is that it’s important to look at the big picture of what you’re doing and examine if what you’re doing is harmful to yourself or others on a case by case basis. Not that, like, all sexual RP is self-harm.
-
RE: The SA In Games Thread (Good Luck)
Take that to its natural conclusion and make a non-canon Discord scene, I suppose.
-
RE: Haven
For all Haven’s flaws it does wonders for the activity of this board.
-
RE: The SA In Games Thread (Good Luck)
Hello, certified bodice ripping enjoyer here.
I make no claims that my interest is in the pursuit of high literary art or sophisticated character development. It is purely for my OOC enjoyment, though I do try to also play a serious and realistic character that is not just a caricature in a porno.
It’s interesting to read people’s thoughts on what it’s like to be the annoyed bystander to this kind of play and I find myself agreeing with a lot of it. Part of the reason I don’t get to engage in this kind of content very often is that I don’t want to bother other people with it. SA as a story beat is very dramatic and very infectious and there’s a good chance news of it will escape containment once in a while and reach people who don’t want to hear about it and don’t want to white knight. Which, valid.
Another challenge is that, as others have pointed out, if there’s 99 games that don’t allow SA and one that does, there’s a good chance that game is fucking bonkers because of who they attract. Often those games feature uhhhhh other stuff too, and I don’t want to play alongside that.
At least games like Paroxysm are upfront about the kind of content that they are allowing there so people can make their own decision about what they want to be exposed to. I think the creator of is in a little bit of denial though. It’s not going to be a storytelling game with cool features that happens to have SA. It’s gonna be the SA game.
-
RE: Children NPCs, yay or nay?
Can’t think of a time that I’ve been thrilled someone brought along their virtual wish fulfilment pet I mean child.
-
RE: AI In Poses
Am I alone in that there’s pretty much nothing an LLM could pick up that I couldn’t on my own with a simple re-read?
-
RE: Filtering player temperament through game design
What kind of filtering do we think would keep this guy out?
-
RE: Mu* and history and time
In general we keep much fewer long-term records in this paperless era. It’s not like we’re writing letters that get shoved in a box somewhere, we’re writing stories that eventually get wiped the next time we replace our device and when we’re gone, our data is gone.
This applies outside of this hobby as well, but maybe as a society we should be thinking more about being deliberate about the records we keep and where we can place them where they’ll be maintained after we’re gone.
-
RE: Filtering player temperament through game design
Something I see a lot is that a game is designed for a certain playstyle but when players turn up who are not well suited for that game, compromises get made. I think some gamerunners overlook how important it is to be able to say “no, that isn’t what this game is meant to focus on”.