Brand MU Day
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Popular
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Register
    • Login

    Paroxysm - split off

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Rough and Rowdy
    36 Posts 17 Posters 2.4k Views 2 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • ShygamingS Offline
      Shygaming @Wizz
      last edited by Shygaming

      @Wizz said:

      this is probably not the best place to advertise or engage given our generally intense distaste for both Haven and LLMs amd the fact you’re already bobbing and weaving around some direct questions, just sayin’.

      I’m keeping this thread focused on the advertisement rather than turning it into a general argument about Haven, LLMs, or unrelated grievances. If the game isn’t for you, that’s completely fine, but please stop derailing the thread.

      I made this thread for you. I hope it helps. https://brandmu.day/topic/690/paroxysm-split-off

      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
      • ShygamingS Shygaming referenced this topic
      • N Offline
        NotSanni
        last edited by

        @howyadoin said:

        Was Haven the game that forced you to specify tit size and had code-timed menstruation?

        Yes it was, and I imagine it still is, wrt to Haven.

        I can’t speak to the breast size thing because I made a guy to take a peek, but the latter half does still apply to the Legally Distinct From Have game.

        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
        • Third EyeT Offline
          Third Eye @Shygaming
          last edited by

          @Shygaming
          What’s your relationship the original staffers on Haven?

          This might’ve been covered elsewhere but also maybe not.

          I want something else to get me through this
          Semi-charmed kinda life, baby, baby
          I want something else, I’m not listening when you say good-bye

          She/Her or They/Them

          1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
          • TezT Offline
            Tez
            last edited by

            Tried to separate the ad posts from the conversation posts. Let me know if I missed.

            she/they

            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
            • ShygamingS Offline
              Shygaming
              last edited by

              Just to answer some of the questions that were asked:

              Did I play Haven? Yes.

              Am I willing to say who I played? No. I generally think leaving a digital footprint that lets strangers connect accounts and identities across different parts of the internet is a bad idea. That is not specific to Haven or this community. It is simply how I approach being online.

              Do I have any relationship with previous Haven staff? No.

              Am I keeping sexual assault as something that can happen in the game? Yes.

              I am trying to steer Paroxysm away from obviously kinky content because I do not want that to become the tone of the game. At the same time I think difficult subject matter can have a place in a dark setting when it is being used as part of the story rather than treated as fetish content.

              I think allowing that kind of material adds more to the setting than removing it entirely. It can create serious consequences. It can create grudges and conflict between characters. It can also make the world feel genuinely unpleasant in places which is appropriate for the sort of setting I am trying to build.

              I completely understand that this will be a deal breaker for some people. I am sorry to lose anyone over it. I would still rather be upfront about what the game allows than have somebody discover it after investing time into a character. Nobody will ever be forced to roleplay anything they are uncomfortable with and players will always have the option to fade to black.

              Is this a haven clone? It uses the Haven codebase so there is obviously going to be some shared DNA. That does not mean the goal is to recreate Haven. The audience I am mainly trying to attract is closer to the Armageddon MUD and Sindome crowd. The long term vision is a difficult survival focused and competitive game. That will not appeal to everyone and I am completely fine with that. I would rather build something with a clear identity for the people who enjoy that kind of game than try to make Paroxysm appeal to everyone.

              D TezT 2 Replies Last reply Reply Quote 3
              • D Offline
                dvoraen @Shygaming
                last edited by

                @Shygaming said:

                I completely understand that this will be a deal breaker for some people. I am sorry to lose anyone over it. I would still rather be upfront about what the game allows than have somebody discover it after investing time into a character. Nobody will ever be forced to roleplay anything they are uncomfortable with and players will always have the option to fade to black.

                How is the bolded an opt-out in any way shape or form if the ftb insinuates that it happened to that character anyway, meaning the topic is likely coming up later which means they’re… still roleplaying about it? Because let’s be real, I don’t know of anyone who can just black hole memory that kind of event to the point it doesn’t become relevant later in any form. (Ignoring supernatural things being involved, obviously.)

                ShygamingS 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 5
                • ShygamingS Offline
                  Shygaming @dvoraen
                  last edited by

                  @dvoraen said:

                  @Shygaming said:

                  I completely understand that this will be a deal breaker for some people. I am sorry to lose anyone over it. I would still rather be upfront about what the game allows than have somebody discover it after investing time into a character. Nobody will ever be forced to roleplay anything they are uncomfortable with and players will always have the option to fade to black.

                  How is the bolded an opt-out in any way shape or form if the ftb insinuates that it happened to that character anyway, meaning the topic is likely coming up later which means they’re… still roleplaying about it? Because let’s be real, I don’t know of anyone who can just black hole memory that kind of event to the point it doesn’t become relevant later in any form. (Ignoring supernatural things being involved, obviously.)

                  I might have worded that poorly.

                  What I mean is that nobody would be required to actually emote through a scene they are uncomfortable with. They could fade to black rather than roleplay the act itself.

                  You are right that this does not mean the event simply disappears from the character’s history. The consequences would still exist and could still matter afterwards.

                  If anything that is probably my preferred way for this sort of content to be handled. I would much rather the focus be on the narrative consequences and what it does to the characters involved than on playing out the act itself.

                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                  • ShygamingS Offline
                    Shygaming
                    last edited by

                    Anyway. I want to show off a few things I have been working on.

                    None of this has been pushed to the live server yet because it still needs a bit more polish on localhost. But I do want to make it clear that development is moving quickly and there are a lot of genuinely exciting new systems and features being added behind the scenes.

                    0317b2b2-6c11-48c6-9c0c-6509e32609ee-image.jpeg

                    37568eb5-99f0-4859-bbfa-7ac7c516955b-image.jpeg

                    e311f88b-2ee3-4911-9f84-a6785e8491d1-image.jpeg

                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                    • JumpscareJ Offline
                      Jumpscare
                      last edited by Jumpscare

                      If your game allows sexual assault, then it’ll be known as the game that allows sexual assault.

                      EDIT: The above message was originally a part of the Paroxysm game thread, before the topic was forked. I didn’t create a topic just to say the above, nor did I write the title for this thread.

                      Game-runner of Silent Heaven, a small-town horror MU.
                      https://silentheaven.org

                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 9
                      • TrashcanT Offline
                        Trashcan
                        last edited by

                        Absolutely wild to be like “I prefer there’s no kinky stuff but no I will not be removing the SA code. Check out this map tho”

                        he/him
                        this machine kills fascists

                        1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 10
                        • ShygamingS Offline
                          Shygaming
                          last edited by Shygaming

                          Do you want to talk about Paroxysm or do you want to keep talking about sexual assault?

                          If it is the latter then that is fine but I am probably going to dip out and leave you guys to it. I have explained my position and I do not think repeating the same discussion over and over is going to add much. I understand that people disagree with the decision and I am not expecting to change anyone’s mind about it.

                          WizzW 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 2
                          • WizzW Offline
                            Wizz @Shygaming
                            last edited by

                            @Shygaming

                            I refer you to my earlier statement, which was not intended to be a derailment so much as mildly helpful. this is not likely to be your crowd.

                            1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 4
                            • TezT Tez forked this topic
                            • TezT Offline
                              Tez
                              last edited by

                              Forked some posts out of pity

                              she/they

                              ShygamingS 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 3
                              • ShygamingS Offline
                                Shygaming @Tez
                                last edited by

                                So there’s been a recent optimisation pass on operations. Amazingly the game can now run them on a shitty £5 a month server without crashing or noticeably lagging.

                                People in cover also now show as underscored. I kind of want to eventually make character initials display in brackets on the map too so you can immediately tell who is where. There are still some bugs around operations and I’m working through them. But considering the state the code was in on the public release I think this is a pretty solid step in the right direction.

                                b33777e7-3e65-4209-bb5d-bd6ad74cd808-image.jpeg

                                1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                • J Offline
                                  Juniper
                                  last edited by

                                  Funnily enough the use of LLMs is more of a dealbreaker for me than the SA code. Good luck with it all.

                                  flared base

                                  1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 1
                                  • ShygamingS Offline
                                    Shygaming
                                    last edited by

                                    So we’ve early deployed NPCs. The long term intention is to make them an actual part of the game’s resource loops rather than relying on offscreen assumptions. Eventually vampires will need to hunt NPCs for blood. Demonborn will need to torture them to maintain high Sadism and its associated buffs.

                                    Cortex also has a monthly citizen arrest quota while being required to keep civilian deaths below a certain limit. So there should be some actual tension between enforcing the regime and simply turning the city into a corpse pile.

                                    5eab6d0e-84ca-4972-94e0-992529165981-image.jpeg
                                    137bf414-077b-4331-89cd-fb4f4bd6436c-image.jpeg

                                    1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                    • TezT Offline
                                      Tez
                                      last edited by

                                      I did some thread surgery to remove Jumpscare as looking like the originator of a related thread. Apologies to anyone who was disrupted by that.

                                      she/they

                                      1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                      • TezT Tez referenced this topic
                                      • somasatoriS Offline
                                        somasatori
                                        last edited by

                                        I dunno man. I feel like that whole “people deserve second chances/people deserve not to be burdened with who they were in the past” lingo in the year of our lord 2026 is absolutely a smokescreen for shady and shitty behavior. I personally agree that people sometimes deserve second chances and shouldn’t be associated with past actions so long as they own up to those actions and seek to effectively make amends for said actions as best they can. Often when people use the kind of language that they’re uncomfortable mentioning who they were, my immediate assumption is a) they did something awful or abusive; b) they have not addressed it; and c) they have no interest in addressing it.

                                        Obviously some people have a personal safety reason for not mentioning who they were, but I feel like that’s an easy enough thing to say without weasel words around “digital footprints.” Maybe just me tho. I wasn’t on Haven and therefore have no dog in this here race.

                                        “And the Fool says, pointing to the invertebrate fauna feeding in the graves: ‘Here a monarchy reigns, mightier than you: His Majesty the Worm.’”
                                        Italo Calvino, The Castle of Crossed Destines

                                        ShygamingS 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 3
                                        • ShygamingS Offline
                                          Shygaming @somasatori
                                          last edited by Shygaming

                                          @somasatori said:

                                          I dunno man. I feel like that whole “people deserve second chances/people deserve not to be burdened with who they were in the past” lingo in the year of our lord 2026 is absolutely a smokescreen for shady and shitty behavior. I personally agree that people sometimes deserve second chances and shouldn’t be associated with past actions so long as they own up to those actions and seek to effectively make amends for said actions as best they can. Often when people use the kind of language that they’re uncomfortable mentioning who they were, my immediate assumption is a) they did something awful or abusive; b) they have not addressed it; and c) they have no interest in addressing it.

                                          Obviously some people have a personal safety reason for not mentioning who they were, but I feel like that’s an easy enough thing to say without weasel words around “digital footprints.” Maybe just me tho. I wasn’t on Haven and therefore have no dog in this here race.

                                          CITIZEN COMMENDATION NOTICE

                                          The Cortex recognizes @somasatori for demonstrating appropriate suspicion toward citizens with unexplained privacy. Such instincts are the foundation of a safe society.

                                          Remember: a citizen with nothing to hide has nothing to redact.

                                          Your diligence has been noted, Loyal Citizen.

                                          somasatoriS 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 0
                                          • somasatoriS Offline
                                            somasatori @Shygaming
                                            last edited by

                                            @Shygaming said:
                                            Remember: a citizen with nothing to hide has nothing to redact.

                                            Your diligence has been noted, Loyal Citizen.

                                            I get what you’re saying. However, given that there are bad actors who have attempted to masquerade as other people in this hobby for years, and who will often use the same language about privacy to justify said masquerade, I think one is liable to be a bit suspicious, no? Fool me once and all that.

                                            “And the Fool says, pointing to the invertebrate fauna feeding in the graves: ‘Here a monarchy reigns, mightier than you: His Majesty the Worm.’”
                                            Italo Calvino, The Castle of Crossed Destines

                                            ShygamingS 1 Reply Last reply Reply Quote 4

                                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                            Register Login
                                            • First post
                                              Last post